Thursday, February 16, 2012

Uncommon Scents

If you are good friends with me, you know I have a particular knack for scents.  Whether you like my personal choices or not is completely up to you but people know I have a nose that knows... (see what I did there?). I am the kind of person who can smell someone walking by and tell what kind of perfume they are wearing seven times out of ten.  When I call them out, however, I fail to mention whether I like what they or wearing or hate it.  So, I would like to list some of my favorites now.  If you have one of these, you have fabulous taste.  If you wear something like Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue everyday... you are failing at life.

My Scents (not ranked):

Happ & Stahns 1842 Rosa Alba:  This beautiful work of art comes from Anthropologie.  I smelled it about two years ago in passing and could not get it out of my head for months.  I finally decided to take the $88 plunge and buy it.  This is the perfect fragrance for every day use.  Light and flowery with the concentrated muskiness of roses.  I have only gotten compliments about this and will continue to wear it until they discontinue the scent.  And I love the tear catcher bottle with pin cushion top.

Gucci Rush:  This is one of my most prized posessions.  It is a little bit on the pricey end at $77 but it is so worth it.  I only wear this at night, especially during the winter.  There are top notes of gardenia, tuberose, freesia, orange flower, honeysuckle and jasmine and base notes of amber, vanilla and patchouli. This is not to be mistaken with Gucci Rush 2. If you like Gucci Rush but thinks its a sensory overload, you might like Gucci Rush 2.  It's a little bit lighter and more flowery.

Marc Jacobs Lola:  At Sephora this sells for $88.  Personally I don't think it is worth that much.  I do like this and its a great every day perfume but after using it day in and day out for a couple months, you get a little bit sick of it.  I have decided to use it only during the summer as it is a summery smell and it tends to wear off quickly (on my skin).  I consider it more of a body spray than anything else because it is so light.  The bottle is very beautiful and it is a nice smell but I don't think I will be buying it again after I run out.

Miss Dior Cherie: I actually do not own this one YET but I am absolutely in love with it.  It is such a distinct smell that after you learn the name, you can pick the scent up on anyone and know exactly what it is. My friend Margalit used to own this and unfortunately the bottle broke in her make up bag.  I knew I had to have it when I found myself sitting in her room sniffing her makeup bag for about ten minutes.  How can I describe this scent... Cute and Classy I think.  It contains notes of Italian Mandarin, Egyptian Jasmine and Patchouli.  This combination creates a scent that is really amazing and perfect for everyday use.  Be advised though, it is very strong and EVERYONE will take notice :)

Michael Kors:  I absolutely love this.  I smelled it the other day and it actually brought back memories of my sister.  I figured out she actually had this exact scent in a leg shine stick (which I also bought the other day).  This perfume is so intoxicating I could literally sit around all day smelling it.  However, I can tell this is one of those scents that not everyone would like.  It is so specific and so distinct that if you don't like one of the many notes in it, you wont be able to handle such a strong smell.  Sephora says it has Dewy Freesia, Tamarind, Chinese Osmanthus, Incense, Fresh Tuberose, White Wings Peony, Blue Orris, Arum Lilies, Cashmere Woods, Musk, and Vetiver Haiti.  Ill be honest, I don't know what a lot of those are, but it works for me.

Ralph Lauren Blue:  This is so nautical.  The name is fitting because in a way, it smells blue... very oceanic... or like hot sailors working in the ocean air. But I digress. I smelled this on my roommate Vanessa during junior year of college and thought it smelled fancy.  I would wear this any day and to job interviews or an event I have to dress up for.  It is a very strong scent... like all of my other choices... but it is also so versatile. I have convinced a few of my friends to buy it and at $72, it's worth it.


So there you have it.  My scents.  Next time you are in Sephora, try them out and tell me what you think. Just don't buy D&G Light Blue or ill have to kill you.

No comments:

Post a Comment